Thursday, June 19, 2014

Self- Care (Pt. 1)

I have been learning quite a bit lately about what it means to really steward my body, to take care of it, to nourish it. I used to think that "self-care" meant being into myself... I accepted my sloppy habits, or lack of habits, because my mentality was that I need to be focused on everyone around me, not myself. Wrong-O.

I think that it felt to me as if it were shallowness. I don't want to be the person who spends hours everyday on her appearance and is always seen looking in the mirror. But perhaps I have been swinging the pendulum too far to the other side.


My curiosity about this whole topic was peaked as I sat across from a friend discussing essential oils. I had been doing some research, had a ton of questions, was super skeptical, and grilled her for about an hour. As she talked and we conversed, I realized that I had quite a few ailments in my life that I put up with on a daily-basis and had accepted as common-place. What do you do for headaches, she might ask.... Care to know? Nothing. How often do I get headaches? Almost daily. I began to look at my life, my health, and things jumped out at me like a flashlight had just been shone into the woods. Chronic digestive issues, anxiety, fatigue, the list goes on.

As you can probably guess, I got some essential oils - stat! I experienced great relief from my headaches and constant nausea! Then I met Wild Orange. Mixed with Peppermint, on the back of the neck, is the most invigorating feeling ever. I started using that frequently and found that my constant state of stressed-out-ness began to fade and overall I was much less anxious. I stepped back and realized that my M.O. was quite unhealthy, and I had ignored it like many other ailments, accepted as commonplace. 


You may have noticed my constant food posts lately as I have been doing the Whole 30 Program.  (Highly recommend it; post to come with more details!) I'm happy to say that this is the biggest step I have ever taken to put my health first, cure chronic problems, and say to everyone else and most importantly to myself, that self-care is so important. What we do to our bodies and put in them has great significance.

What self-care habits do you have in your life? Please share! 

-Amber

Want to learn more about using Essential Oils? 
Website // Email: hansenamber07@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment